All entries and votes must be submitted by the deadlines listed below in order to be included in the final vote count and calendar. Employees and Board Members of the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria are welcome to submit photographs and encouraged to fundraise, but are not eligible for prizes.
- Photo entries must be no smaller than 1575 pixels x 2100 pixels, RGB, jpg, eps, or pdf format. Photos must be high resolution for printing purposes. If you are taking photos with your phone, please be sure to capture your image at the highest possible setting in order to meet resolution criteria.
- People are not allowed in photos, but photos of cats, dogs, and small animals are accepted. Your pet does NOT have to be adopted from the AWLA, or any other shelter, to be eligible to enter the contest.
- Multiple animals are allowed in one photo. If your photo has multiple species, you will be required to choose a pawrty affiliation upon submission. (Reach those paws across the aisle, candidates!)
- All photos must be digital; we cannot accept printed photos. We cannot accept Polaroids, photos with digital overlays, photo stickers or doodles, or any copyrighted or professional photos. No photos with digital effects will be accepted.
- Once entered, photo submisisons become the property of the AWLA to be used at their discretion for print and marketing purposes.
- AWLA reserves the right to decline publication of any photograph for any reason. Should this happen, we will notify you and, if an appropriate replacement can not be obtained, refund your entry fee if desired. AWLA has final approval on all photos submitted, and reserves the right to replace an animal's photograph with another to overcome production issues.
- Simultaneous submissions and voting periods begin on August 15, 2016, at 8:00
- Winners will be announced on Facebook and Twitter on September 15, 2016 shortly after 8 p.m. Winners will be contacted by phone (first) or email (alternatively) on or about September 16, 2017.
GET OUT THE VOTE
Each vote is $1, and there is no limit to the number of votes one may cast. You must cast a minimum of 5 votes at a time for a minimum charge of $5. You may vote for your own photo. Online voting begins as soon as the photo is registered and ends September 15, 2016, at 8 p.m. EST.
In addition to our online system, voting can be done by mail, at the shelter, or by calling our Development Department at 703-746-5661. Votes made over the phone with a credit card are restricted to a $20 minimum. Offline votes (mail, telephone, in-person) must be received by noon on September 15, 2016. After noon on September 15, 2016, only online votes will be allowed.
To make sure a vote is credited to the correct photo, voters must identify the pet and owner's name. Please make checks payable to the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria.