- Full Calendar Page: There are 13 full pages to win (the cover and each month)*. The fundraiser with the most votes will be awarded the cover, with the next 6 spots from each category at 10 p.m. PST on Saturday, February 18, 2023 being awarded a page* in the 2024 “I Love Animals” Calendar. Categories are “Dogs” and “Cats & other amazing pets”.
- Hill's Honourable Mention: Hill’s Pet Nutrition will select their favourite entry for the Hill’s Honourable Mention from among participants who earned at least 50 votes. The chosen entry will get a spot* in the calendar (not full page).
- NEW Bonus Half Page: One lucky draw winner’s pet will be featured on a new bonus half page* in the calendar. Participants will receive one entry into the draw per 100 votes earned. The more votes you earn, the better your odds.
- Greeting Card: 36 entries will be selected to be featured on a BC SPCA greeting card*, sold in the online store. Participants who raise 5 votes or more are eligible.
- Custom Pet Portrait Draw: Earn 50 votes or more by 10 p.m. PST on February 7 and you’ll be entered for a chance to win a custom portrait of your pet.
- NEW Early Bird Leader Prize: At 10 p.m. PST on February 7, the current leading animal in each category will be awarded a custom pet portrait.
- Complimentary Calendar: When you donate $25 or more, you will be sent one complimentary 2024 calendar (per person, not per donation). This is limited to donations with B.C. mailing addresses. If you donate from outside of B.C. and would like a calendar, please email us at email@example.com to arrange payment for additional mailing costs.
Each entry may only win one (1) place in the calendar. For example, a Top 13 animal cannot also be the winner of the Bonus Half Page.
In the case of a tie for a calendar spot, the entry that joined the contest first will receive the prize.
- The contest opens on February 1, 2023 at 12:01 a.m. PST. The contest closes on February 18, 2023 at 10 p.m. PST. All fundraising must take place within these dates.
- Donations made in support of an animal are valued at one vote for every $1.00 donated. There may also be promotions where donors can get bonus votes.
- Participants can enter or donate from anywhere. However, contest winners must pay for any additional costs for sending physical prizes outside of B.C.
- A selection of 3-4 print quality photos* of each Top 13 animal, the Bonus Half Page and the Hill’s Honourable Mention must be provided by February 28, 2023 to be included in the production of the calendar.
- If appropriate print quality photos are not provided by the deadline the BC SPCA will offer the spot in the calendar to the next runner up.
- By submitting a photo, you will also acknowledge and give permission to the BC SPCA to use the name, story and photo of the animal entered in future various publications, promotions and materials, including the 2024 “I Love Animals” Calendar. You also confirm that you own the rights to the photo you are submitting.
- All calendar winners must be domesticated animals. Animals in contest photos must not be displaying any signs of distress (e.g., looking fearful or anxious). We reserve the right to ask for a new picture submission for any reason. Please see full image requirements for winners.
- The BC SPCA reserves the right to disqualify an entry based on objectionable content or depiction of the animal or persons in a photo. Donations collected will be refunded if requested by the donors.
- Sign up matching bonus day: Hill's Pet Nutrition is giving 25 bonus votes when you sign up with donation of $25 or more by midnight on February 1. UPDATE: Hill's has generously extended this bonus vote offer to end of day February 2.
- Double vote days: There may be double vote days, and all entrants will be notified when they arise (provided you are subscribed to BC SPCA emails).
*Image Requirements for WinnersSo long as an animal does not look distressed (e.g., fearful or anxious), you may enter the contest with whatever picture you choose - but winning submissions must follow the below rules to print.
- Photos must be a minimum of 3600x2700 pixels (or 12x9 inches) at a resolution of 300 DPI. PNG, JPG and TIFF image formats are accepted.
- Winners must own the rights to the photos they provide (i.e., photos taken by professional photographers are not eligible).
- Photos submitted for the calendar must include at least one animal, who should be present in no less than 2/3 of the frame. Landscape format is preferred.
- Please ensure that the photo is sharp and in focus with a clean background.
- Pets who are shown outside:
- Dogs in photographs taken outdoors must be shown wearing a humane collar and ID tag.
- Cats in photographs taken outdoors must be shown in a safe environment (preferably in an enclosure/catio or with a harness on) wearing an ID tag.
- Domestic birds, however, must only be shown indoors.
- Photos submitted must follow the Five Freedoms (spca.bc.ca/fivefreedoms). The BC SPCA is opposed to practices that prevent animals from expressing natural behaviours. Photos should not feature animals performing unnatural activities, including wearing clothing, accessories (e.g., bows), or costumes. Photos of different species (e.g., cats with dogs) must show each animal looking comfortable with the interaction.
- If the photo contains an individual, you must be able to confirm and provide written authorization from that person for the BC SPCA to use the photo. However, it is preferred that the photo not feature people.