Thank you for participating in the Calendar Contest!
The BC SPCA Calendar Contest presented by Hill's Pet Nutrition has ended, after running from Jan. 30 to Feb. 17, 2024 at 8 p.m. PST
. Thousands of animal lovers entered to give their pets the spotlight they deserved, while also saving animals in need.
Congratulations to our winners, and a huge THANK YOU to everyone who entered or voted. We wish we could award every one of you. Sign up for a reminder for next year's contestThese faithful friends will be featured on full pages in the BC SPCA's 2025 Calendar:
Cover - Eddie BH!
Calendar months (Dogs category): Muffin, Penelope and Abigail, Joaquin, Remi, and Murphy!
Calendar months (Cats & other amazing pets category): Little Mighty One, Timmy, Evander and Winta, Nala, Gemi, and Luna!Receiving a "day-sized" spot in the Calendar with our Star for a Day Features are:
Dogs category: Deebo, Hunter Lung, Bella & Millie, Georgie, Harley & BamBam, The Dude Duke, Charlie, Ruby & Callie, Raiin, Lola, Gucci, and Hilo!
Cats & other amazing pets category: Pushkin, Planet, Cici, Saphie and friends, Mr. B, Sailor, Rory, Simon Tucker, Winston, Butterscotch, Luna & Tic, and Hooper!Congratulations all!The Hill's Honourable Mention and 36 greeting cards are being selected and will be announced separately.
Thank you. Your kindness and compassion for animals continues to bring hope to those in need.
- Full Calendar Page: There are 12 full pages* to win in the 2025 "I Love Animals" Calendar (the cover and 11 months). Entrants choose between two categories, "Dogs" and "Cats & other amazing pets". The 6 top spots in each category will win a full page calendar feature, with the cover spot awarded to the fundraiser with the most votes overall. Winners will be determined by their vote totals as of the contest close at 8 p.m. PST on Saturday, February 17, 2024.
- Hill's Honourable Mention: Hill's Pet Nutrition will select their favourite entry for the Hill's Honourable Mention from among participants who earned at least 50 votes. The chosen entry will get a spot* in the calendar (not full page).
- NEW Star for a Day Feature: There are an incredible 24 Star for a Day features to win, meaning this year's Calendar Contest will have more prizes available than ever! Following the winners, the next 12 vote-getters in each category will delight countless eyes for a full month from an available "day" square within the calendar. These photos will use the actual contest entry photo (see image requirements for conditions), so pawrents are encouraged to use their pet's best photo for their entry.
- Greeting Card: 36 entries will be selected to be featured on a BC SPCA greeting card*, sold in the online store. Participants who raise 5 votes or more are eligible.
- Complimentary Calendar: When you donate $25 CAD or more, or if you are one of the winners you will be sent one complimentary 2025 calendar (one calendar per person).
Each entry may only win one (1) place in the calendar. For example, a Top 12 animal cannot also be the winner of the Hill's Honourable Mention.
In the case of a tie for a calendar spot, the entrant that reached their final vote total first will receive the prize.
- The contest opens on January 30, 2024 at 12:00 a.m. PST. The contest closes on February 17, 2024 at 8 p.m. PST. Only funds raised within these dates will be considered.
- Donations made in support of an animal are valued at one vote for every $1.00 donated. There may also be promotions where donors can get bonus votes.
- Participants can enter or donate from anywhere. However, contest winners must pay for any additional costs for sending physical prizes outside of B.C.
- A selection of 3-4 print quality photos* of each Top 12 animal and the Hill's Honourable Mention must be provided by March 1, 2024 to be included in the production of the calendar. Winners of the Star for a Day Feature will have their contest entry photo used; however they may be required to provide additional photos at the discretion of the BC SPCA if the entry photo doesn't meet the image requirements.
- If appropriate print quality photos are not provided by the deadline, the BC SPCA reserves the right to offer the spot to the next runner up.
- By submitting a photo, you acknowledge and give permission to the BC SPCA to use the name, story and photo of the animal entered in future publications, promotions and materials, including the 2025 "I Love Animals" Calendar. You also confirm that you own the rights to the photo you are submitting.
- All calendar winners must be domesticated animals. Animals in contest photos must not be displaying any signs of distress (e.g., looking fearful or anxious). We reserve the right to ask for a new picture submission for any reason. Please see full image requirements for winners.
- The BC SPCA reserves the right to disqualify an entry based on objectionable content or depiction of the animal or persons in a photo, if an appropriate replacement cannot be submitted.
- Sign up matching bonus day: Hill's Pet Nutrition is generously providing 25 bonus votes when you make a self-donation of $25 or more during your contest entry registration by midnight on January 30.
- Double vote days: There may be double vote promotion days, where votes received will be matched. All entrants will be notified by email when they arise (so make sure you are subscribed to BC SPCA emails!).
*Image Requirements for WinnersSo long as an animal does not look distressed (e.g., fearful or anxious), you may enter the contest with whatever picture you choose. Winning submissions must follow the rules below for print:
- Photos must be a minimum of 3600x2700 pixels (or 12x9 inches) at a resolution of 300 DPI. PNG, JPG and TIFF image formats are accepted. (For the ‘Star for a Day' features specifically, the photo submitted as your contest entry will be used; portrait and landscape are both acceptable, though a minimum size of 400x500 pixels is recommended.)
- Winners must own the rights to the photos they provide (i.e., photos taken by professional photographers who reserve the rights to their images are not eligible).
- Photos submitted for the calendar must include at least one animal, who should occupy no less than 2/3 of the frame. Landscape format is preferred.
- Please ensure that the photo selected is sharp and in focus with a clean background.
- Pets who are shown outside:
- Dogs in photographs taken outdoors must be shown wearing a humane collar and ID tag.
- Cats in photographs taken outdoors must be shown in a safe environment (preferably in an enclosure/catio or with a harness on) wearing an ID tag.
- Domestic birds, however, must only be shown indoors.
- Photos submitted must follow the Five Freedoms (spca.bc.ca/fivefreedoms). The BC SPCA is opposed to practices that prevent animals from expressing natural behaviours. Photos should not feature animals performing unnatural activities, including wearing clothing, accessories (e.g., bows), or costumes. Photos of different species (e.g., cats with dogs) must show each animal looking comfortable with the interaction.
- If the photo contains a person accompanying an animal, you must be able to confirm and provide express written consent from that person for the BC SPCA to use the photo. However, it is preferred that the photo not feature people.
Who can I contact for help?Answer:
Email us at email@example.com
or call us at 778-786-2632. We're here to help!How are votes counted?Answer
: Donations made in support of an animal are valued at one vote for every $1.00 donated. There may also be promotions
where donors can get bonus votes.How do I get a top spot?Answer
: Fundraise! The BC SPCA Calendar Contest is a fundraising activity to support homeless, neglected and abused animals in B.C.Is there a cost to enter?Answer
: Entry is free! You will have a chance to donate when you enter (it's a great way to set an example for your friends and family), however that is optional.How do I change my entry photo?Answer
: If you would like to change your entry photo, please email the new photo and a link to your contest entry to firstname.lastname@example.org
.Why is a current shelter animal in the contest?
Love Bug is a puppy in care at the BC SPCA. He isn’t in the running for any of the official prizes. Instead, if he gets enough votes, he’ll get a special spot in the Calendar just for shelter animals. It’s a chance for animal lovers who don’t know anyone in the contest to have fun participating and help animals at the same time. Love Bug’s entry will be hidden at 9 a.m. on Feb. 17 to prevent confusion on the final day of the contest.
Do I have to live in B.C. to enter the contest?Answer
: Participants can enter or donate from anywhere. However, contest winners must pay for any additional costs for sending physical prizes outside of B.C.My pet has passed away, may I still enter them?Answer
: Yes, you can; however, due to potential issues with photo quality, we recommend that you only enter if you can absolutely guarantee that your photos meet the image requirements. If they do not, the runner-up will be given your spot. If you would like your photo to be reviewed, please send it to us at email@example.com
. My pet is a farm animal, can I still enter them?Answer
: Farm animals are welcome to enter, provided they are a domesticated breed/type and are being treated as a pet (not for consumption).If I win a spot in the calendar, what happens next?Answer
: The Top 12 and the Hill's Honourable mention winner will be contacted directly by the BC SPCA regarding photos and photo quality. A selection of 3-4 print quality photos of each of these winning animals must be provided by March 1, 2024 to be included in the production of the calendar. Winners of the Star for a Day Feature will have their contest entry photo used; however they may be required to provide alternative photos at the discretion of the BC SPCA. Please refer to the contest rules page for image requirements
. If appropriate print quality photos are not provided by the deadline, the BC SPCA reserves the right to offer the spot in the calendar to the next runner-up.Why are there only 11 months to win?Answer
: The month of October is reserved for the generous supporter who had the winning bid at the Offleashed gala's auction. But not to worry! In addition to the prizes of the cover and the other 11 months, the Hill's Honourable Mention and the new Star for a Day Features means there are a total of 37 calendar spots available – our most ever!Can I be disqualified?Answer
: The BC SPCA reserves the right to disqualify an entry based on objectionable content or depiction of the animal or persons in a photo, if an appropriate replacement cannot be submitted.When and where will winners be announced?Answer
: All winners will be posted to the homepage
of this website. Top 12 winners and the Star for a Day Feature winners will be announced on Feb. 20. The Hill's Honourable Mention and Greeting Cards will be announced later on once they have been selected.When will I get my tax receipt?Answer
: Tax receipts will be emailed to voters by the end of May. We will, however, endeavor to issue them as soon as possible once the Contest closes. If you are already an amazing monthly donor, then your kind donation will be added to your annual tax receipt instead.