All entries and votes must be submitted by the deadlines listed below in order to be included in the final vote count. Employees and Board Members of the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria are welcome to submit photographs and encouraged to fundraise, but are not eligible for prizes. Entries can include animals that have died; however, to be eligible for the top four spots, animals must be alive and available to be photographed.
- Photo entries must be no smaller than 1575 pixels x 2100 pixels, in RGB, jpg, eps, or pdf format. Photos must be high resolution for printing purposes. If you are taking photos with your phone, please be sure to capture your image at the highest possible setting in order to meet resolution criteria.
- People are NOT allowed in photos, but photos of cats, dogs, and small animals are accepted. Your pet does NOT have to be adopted from the AWLA, or any other shelter, to be eligible to enter the contest.
- Multiple animals are allowed in one photo.
- All photos must be digital; we cannot accept printed photos, Polaroids, photos with digital overlays, photo stickers or doodles, or any copyrighted or professional photos. No photos with digital effects will be accepted.
- Once entered, photo submissions become the property of the AWLA to be used at their discretion for print and marketing purposes.
- AWLA reserves the right to decline publication of any photograph for any reason. Should this happen, we will notify you and, if an appropriate replacement can not be obtained, refund your entry fee if desired. AWLA has final approval on all photos submitted and reserves the right to replace an animal's photograph to overcome production issues.
- Animals must be entered in the correct contest "category". AWLA will change the category of any entry that is entered incorrectly.
- Virginia Wildlife (no-pets) category is to enter photos of wild animals living in the wild in Virginia- no pets or animals living in zoos or other type of confinement. This category has been added this year to illustrate the wide range of animals that the AWLA assists in the community. Wild animals are not pets; however, AWLA strives to help community members co-exist and appreciate the wild animals in our neighborhoods. You may want to feature a photo of the squirrel family that lives in the tree in your yard, or the deer who often visits to forage in front of your home or the woodpecker you see every morning. (This category can not win one of the top four spots).
- Simultaneous submissions and voting periods begin on June 1, 2017, at 8 a.m. ET, and end July 16, 2017, at 8 p.m. ET.
- Winners will be announced on Facebook and Twitter on July 16, 2017, shortly after 8 p.m. Winners will be contacted by phone (first) or email (alternatively) on or about July 16, 2017.
Each vote is $1, and there is no limit to the number of votes one may cast for the duration of the contest. You must cast a minimum of five votes at a time for a minimum charge of $5. You may vote for your own photo. Online voting begins as soon as the photo is registered and ends July 16th at 8 p.m. ET.
In addition to our online system, voting can be done by mail, at the shelter, or by calling 703-746-5661. Votes made over the phone with a credit card are restricted to a $20 minimum. Offline votes (mail, telephone, in-person) must be received by noon on July 16th, 2017. After noon on July 16th, 2017, only online votes will be allowed.
To make sure a vote is credited to the correct photo, voters must identify the pet and owner's name. Please make checks payable to the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria.