- Only photos of dogs will be permitted.
- One entry per dog. If you wish to enter multiple dogs, please submit them each separately.
- Winners must be available on April 20th for the on-air KTLA announcement.
- Photos must be high-resolution (300 dpi or greater).
- Photos must only contain dogs (no people or wildlife).
- Photos must be full-color - no heavily filtered, edited, or altered photos.
- Photos deemed offensive, indecent, or obscene will be removed from the contest.
- All online photo entries must be submitted by April 18th at 9:00 PM.
- All photos submitted become the property of the Los Angeles Fire Department Foundation and can be used in marketing or promotional materials in perpetuity.
- Photo submission must include:
- Name of dog
- Owner's name
- Owner's email address
- City and state
- A few sentences that tell voters why your dog is a hero.
- The suggested donation for entry is $10. This contest is a fundraiser to benefit the LAFD Foundation. A donation is not required for entry but is strongly encouraged. Donations are tax-deductible by law. Please save your receipts for your tax records. The LAFD Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
- Each vote requires a donation of $1. All donations for votes are tax-deductible.
- The top 10 dogs with the most votes will be submitted to a panel of judges, for them to select the top Howling Hero.
- The winning Howling Hero will be announced on April 20th.
The contest is open to all legal U.S. residents who are at least eighteen (18) years of age. The contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited or restricted by law or regulations.
- Voting is required to participate and win this fundraising contest.
- Voting requires a $1 donation per vote.
- The three (3) photographs with the most votes (donations) at the end of the contest period will win the fundraising contest. See PRIZES for details.
- Entrants may vote for their own entries as many times as they wish.
- A panel of judges will select the final ‘Howling Hero’ from the top 10 winners.
SELECTION OF THE FINAL WINNER
The top ten dogs with the highest number of votes on April 18th will be judged by a group of select individuals.
The 10 winners of the contest will be notified by e-mail on April 19, 2022. Odds of winning depend on the number of votes each entrant receives.
Those 10 winners will be entered for review by a panel of judges to select the final ‘Howling Hero’ winner. The panel of judges designated by the LAFD Foundation will judge all entries on the following factors:
- Visual Appeal
- Creativity of Image
- Inspirational Power of Pet’s ‘Hero Story’
- Overall Impression/Impact
Judging will begin immediately following the close of the contest, and the final winner will be notified by end of the day on Tuesday, April 19, 2022.
The winning photo will be posted at supportlafd.org following the winner’s notification. Additionally, any submitted photos may also be featured in various promotional materials including online. The selection process will be conducted under the supervision of the LAFD Foundation, whose decisions are final and binding.
The winning pet will be asked to film a live segment on KTLA in the morning on Wednesday, April 20, 2022.
The 1st place Howling Hero winner will receive:
- Bragging rights and LAFD gift baskets for the owner and the winning pup
- An opportunity to be featured in a KTLA News segment* winner’s announcement
- Recognition on the LAFD and LAFD Foundation’s social platforms
- Invitations to appear at select LAFD special events throughout the year
Second and third place winners will also receive a gift basket of LAFD apparel.
When you enter the "Howling Heroes" contest, you warrant that you are at least eighteen (18) years old as of the date of entry, the photograph is original, that you are the sole owner and copyright holder of that photograph, and that you have not granted exclusive rights of that photograph to any other person or entity. You also warrant that the photograph does not invade the right of privacy of any individual; does not infringe any trademark, trade name, trade secret, intellectual property right, or other common law or statutory right; nor does it contain any material that otherwise violates any criminal prohibition or the personal or proprietary rights of any person or entity.
GRANT OF RIGHTS IN CONNECTION WITH THE CONTEST
With regard to any image or content submitted, you agree to grant the LAFD Foundation, its legal representatives, successors, and assigns, the nonexclusive right and permission to use, modify, adapt, reproduce, publish, and distribute the photograph, or any portion thereof, throughout the world, in any printed form and by any kind of mechanical or electronic or any other method or device of reproduction, publication, and distribution known or later developed, during the full term of the copyright, and without notification or payment.
LAFD Foundation shall not be responsible for printing, typographical, human, or other errors of any kind in any contest-related materials or for stolen, lost, late, misdirected, damaged, incomplete, or illegible entries. If, for any reason, the contest is not capable of running as planned, or infection by computer viruses, bugs, or tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, actions of entrants, technical failures, or any other causes corrupt or infect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the contest, the LAFD Foundation reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any entry or entrant and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the contest and at its sole discretion award a prize from among all eligible non-suspect entries validly received prior to the action requiring such modification. By entering, all contestants agree that the contest is governed by laws of the State of California for the resolution of all claims and disputes (excluding any claims against or disputes involving parties other than the Foundation relating to any prize awarded in the contests).
USE OF PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION
Personally identifiable information provided by entrants and voters will be added to the Foundation's email list. Entrants and voters will be able to "opt out" of future such communications by following the instructions on any electronic communication we send. The Foundation does not sell, rent, trade or share its email addresses with any third parties for such party's own marketing purposes.
LEGAL WARNING: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN INDIVIDUAL, WHETHER OR NOT AN ENTRANT, TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE, DESTROY, TAMPER OR VANDALIZE THIS WEB SITE OR INTERFERE WITH THE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST, IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND LAFD FOUNDATION RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND DILIGENTLY PURSUE ALL REMEDIES AGAINST ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.