Question: How are votes counted?
Answer: Donations made in support of an animal are valued at one vote for every $1.00 donated.
Question: Is there a fee to participate?
Answer: The fee to enter is $10. This is tax-deductible. The tax receipt will be emailed to you by January 31, 2022.
Question: How do I win the Amazon Gift Card?
Answer: Fundraise! The Cutest Pet Contest is a fundraising activity to support homeless, neglected and abused animals in Ottawa.
Question: Do I have to live in Ottawa to enter the contest?
Answer: Participants and voters are not limited to the City of Ottawa: everyone is welcome to participate.
Question: My pet has passed away, may I still enter him/her?
Answer: Yes, you can; however, due to potential issues with photo quality, we recommend that you only enter if you can absolutely guarantee that your photos meet the image requirements. If they do not, the runner-up will be given your spot.
Question: If I win the Cutest Pet Contest, what happens next?
Answer: If you win the Cutest Pet Contest, it will be announced on Wednesday, September 15th on the Morning Hot Tub. You and your pet will win the coveted Cutest Pet “Golden Bowl” trophy!
Question: Can I be disqualified?
Answer: The Ottawa Humane Society reserves the right to disqualify an entry based on objectionable content or depiction of the animal or persons in a photo. Donations collected will be refunded if requested by the donor.
Question: What will the Ottawa Humane Society do with my pet's entry once it has been uploaded?
Answer: By agreeing to the waiver, you will also acknowledge and give permission to HOT 89.9 and the Ottawa Humane Society to use the name, story and photo of the animal entered in future various publications and materials.
Question: When will I get my tax receipt?
Answer: Tax receipts will be emailed to voters no later than January 31, 2022. We will, however, endeavor to issue them as soon as possible.
Question: What are the Image Requirements?
- Please ensure that the photo is sharp and in focus with a clean background.
- Pets who are shown outside:
- Dogs in photographs taken outdoors must be shown wearing a collar and ID tag.
- Cats and small animals in photographs taken outdoors must be shown in a safe environment (preferably in an enclosure/ catio or with a harness on). Cats in photographs taken outdoors must be shown wearing an ID tag.
- Domestic birds, however, must only be shown indoors.
- Photos submitted for the Cutest Pet Contest must follow the Five Freedoms of Animal Welfare.
- Freedom from Hunger and Thirst — by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
- Freedom from Discomfort — by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease — by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to Express Normal Behaviour — by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind.
- Freedom from Fear and Distress — by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.
- The Ottawa Humane Society is opposed to practices that prevent animals from expressing natural animal behaviours. Photos must not feature animals performing unnatural activities, including wearing clothing or costumes.
- If the photo contains an individual, you must be able to confirm and provide written authorization from that person for HOT 89.9 and the Ottawa Humane Society to use the photo. It is preferred that the photo not feature individuals.